Events medical terms and conditions
Marie Curie overseas events and challenges are demanding and will require a good level of fitness, strength and endurance. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate level of fitness.
Trained medical personnel accompany the groups at all times and are able to administer first aid, however routes may be some distance from full medical facilities.
Marie Curie works with partner companies to provide these Challenge events, and they ask that participants inform them of any situations that may make completing the challenge more risky.
If you answer yes to any of the questions below, you must complete the medical declaration form found in the registration form and ask your doctor to consider whether you are fit to take part in this challenge. To request a paper copy of the medical form call 08700 340 040.
You will be able to continue to complete your registration online and pay the registration fee, but we cannot finalise your registration or guarantee your place in the event until we have received the form with your doctor’s signature confirming you are fit to take part.
Our partner providers ask us to ask you the following questions; if you answer yes to any of the following questions, please refer to the Medical Declaration form in the registration form for your doctor to consider:
1. Will you be aged 60 or over during the event?
2. Do you have asthma, bronchitis, another lung or chest disease, shortness of breath or wheezing?
3. Do you have any severe allergies, including hay fever?
4. Do you have any phobias, including heights, water or small spaces?
5. Have you been diagnosed with any psychiatric or neurological illness, including depression, epilepsy, seizures, convulsions or ever had a stroke?
6. Do you get recurring migraine headaches, fainting fits or blackouts?
7. Do you have recurring joint, mobility or back problems?
8. Do you have any heart, blood or circulatory issues, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or blood clots in particular DVT (clots in the leg)?
9. Have you had any surgical operations?
10. Do you have any hearing loss or problems with balance?
11. Have you ever had any type of hernia?
12. Do you have any metabolic or endocrinal disorder?
13. Do you have any conditions involving the digestive tract, including ulcers, bowel disorders or stomach problems?
14. Do you have any fractures or problems with your tendons, ligaments or cartilage?
15. Do you have a dependency on drugs or alcohol?
16. Are you awaiting medical investigations, test results, surgery or been hospitalised in the last two years
17. Do you smoke?
18. Could you be carrying an infectious disease?
19. Have you had to take steroid tablets?
20. Do you have any other medical issues which are relevant to your well-being on the Challenge?
In addition to these, if you answer yes to any of the following, please call our Treks and Cycles team on 020 7091 4113 to discuss how you could take part in the event before registering.
1. Are you pregnant?
2. Is your BMI (body mass index – more information link to who website) 30 or higher?
3. Do you consider yourself to have a disability?
If you, or your GP, have any medical queries you would like to discuss with the tour provider’s Medical Advisor, please contact the Treks and Cycles Team and they will be happy to arrange this. Call 020 7091 4113 between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
To take part in this event you must be 18 or over on the day of departure.
Registration is £350 per person and is non-refundable. All participants to raise a minimum sponsorship of £3,950 in aid of Marie Curie. Team Leaders are responsible for their team's fundraising target.