Community services in Edinburgh
If you’re being cared for at home, you may be referred to our community team based at the Marie Curie Hospice, Edinburgh. We’re a team of healthcare professionals and we’ll work with your GP, district nurse and hospital team to provide you and your family with all the support you need.
When you’re referred to our community team, one of our clinical nurse specialists will talk to you to find out what your physical, emotional, practical and social needs are.
This includes finding out how you are feeling and making sure any symptoms you have, such as pain, are assessed so that it can be improved.
The clinical nurse specialist will make a plan with you as to how our community team can support you and your family. One of our clinical nurse specialists will also be available, seven days a week, to provide urgent advice or support over the phone.
We can help in many ways, such as supporting you with:
- your physical needs and emotional wellbeing
- talking about what may lie ahead for you and your family, and your hopes and feelings around this
- planning ahead for your future care
- adapting to changes in your abilities and day-to-day life
- giving you practical advice and information on services and support that may be of help to you
Depending on what you need, we can offer you:
- outpatient or home appointments with a member of our team
- day therapies for your wellbeing
- occupational therapy and physiotherapy
- complementary therapies such as massage, reflexology and aromatherapy for you and your family
- practical and financial advice from a social worker, including help with planning ahead and making your wishes known
- specialist medical care to manage your pain or other symptoms
- a short stay at our hospice so we can provide you with extra support
- spiritual support
Should you need any practical help with your care at home, ask your district nurse about Marie Curie nursing care. Your district nurse may refer you to this service for overnight or daytime care to meet your nursing needs.
They may also refer you to the Marie Curie Helper service that offers companionship and practical help from trained volunteers. To ask about the Helper service, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 304 7692.