Need support?

Living with a terminal illness and looking for support? Our Support Line team are here to help. 

 Reopens today at 8AM

by phone

 0800 090 2309 Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. Find out more about our Support Line.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is a benefit for people on a low income. It can be used to top up any State Pension that you’re getting. 

On this page:

About Pension Credit

Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit. Means-tested benefits are the ones that vary depending on how much income you have. There are two parts to the benefit:

  • Guarantee Credit – this tops up a low income.
  • Savings Credit – this is intended to provide extra money if you have modest savings and are aged 65 or over.

Who is Pension Credit for?

Pension Credit is for people on a low income who have reached Pension Credit age. This is being raised from 60 to 66 in the ten years up to October 2020. You can visit the website calculator to work out your Pension Credit age.

If you're in a relationship

Only one member of a couple can claim this benefit. You’re considered to be part of a couple if you’re married, in a civil partnership, or cohabiting (living with someone as part of a couple).

If you’re the person who’s claiming, it doesn’t normally matter if your partner hasn’t reached Pension Credit age. However, if you’re living in an area where Universal Credit has been introduced it does matter. You’ll only be able to claim Pension Credit when both of you have reached the right age.

How much Pension Credit could you get?

This will depend on your circumstances.

Guarantee Credit

This is worked out by comparing the amount the law says you need to live on with your income. As with other means-tested benefits, some of your income is taken into account while other parts of your income may not be. While these rules are complex, the main thing to know is that Guarantee Credit tops up a low income to the amount the law says you need to live on. This amount is higher if, for example, you or your partner has a severe disability or is a carer.

Savings Credit

Savings credit is currently being phased out and isn’t available to people reaching State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016. If you reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016, you can still get Savings Credit if you meet the qualifying conditions. 

If you’re part of a couple where one person has reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016 but the other person reaches State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016, you can only get Savings Credit if one of you qualified or received Savings Credit before 6 April 2016.  

For more information about your entitlement, visit the website   or get advice from a benefits adviser.

How to claim Pension Credit

The best way to claim is by phone. In England, Scotland and Wales, phone the Pension Credit claim line on 0800 99 1234 or visit the website. An adviser from the Pension Service or an advice centre can help you fill in the form, either at the centre or by visiting you at home.

In Northern Ireland, phone the Pension Centre on 0808 100 6165 or visit the nidirect website. Your claim can be backdated for up to three months if you met the qualifying conditions throughout that period.

If you qualify

If you qualify for Pension Credit, it’s usually paid into your bank or building society account in arrears.

Reporting a change in your circumstances

If you are claiming benefits and gave incorrect information by mistake or if there is a change in your circumstances, you need to report it. Who you tell depends on what support you're getting. Visit GOV.UK for more information about reporting a change in circumstances.

If your claim is rejected

The rules for decisions on your Pension Credit claim and for asking for reconsiderations and appeals are the same as for other DWP or SSA benefits. Read our information about appealing a benefits decision for more details.

Other benefits you could get

If you’re awarded the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit, you may be entitled to:

  • full help with your rent (Housing Benefit)
  • help with mortgage interest payments and certain other housing costs
  • help from your local council towards your Council Tax (or rate relief in Northern Ireland)
  • help with NHS charges such as vouchers for glasses and hospital travel fares.

If you’re entitled to either part of Pension Credit you may also be able to get a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund to help with funeral expenses if a partner, child, close relative or close friend has died.

Useful links

Print this page