Banana and chocolate cake
Ingredients for cake
- 3 medium bananas
- 120g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 160g light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 150g self-raising flour plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 150g smooth peanut butter
- 225g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 300g icing sugar (sifted)
- A few drops of whole milk
- Flake bars to decorate
Method for cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Grease a 20cm deep round tin and dust with flour
- Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl and add one tablespoon of flour
- Melt the butter in a saucepan
- Add the chocolate and take off the heat. Stir until melted
- Add warm mixture to the bananas and combine
- Beat the eggs and add to the bowl along with sugar and salt, and mix
- Add the flour a third at a time. Stop stirring as soon as the mixture comes together
- Pour the mixture into your tin and bake for 45 - 55 mins (depending on your oven)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
Note: Your cake may crack across the top - don’t worry; the icing will make it look pretty again!
Method for icing
- Once the cake is cooled, you can add the icing. You can also make the icing in advance and store in the fridge until needed.
- Mix the peanut butter, cream cheese, vanilla and half of the icing sugar - ensure you stir by hand
- Once mixed, add the remaining icing sugar a third at a time, along with a drop of whole milk
- Add more peanut butter to taste
- Mix until the icing sticks to the spoon but could be easily spread.
- Using a palette knife, spread the icing across your cake. Decorate with crushed flake bars.
This cake can be kept for three days in an airtight container at room temperature.