Using the online chat service
You can talk to our trained staff and get information and support via our online chat service. Click on the icon in the banner at the top of this page to get started.
If the team are busy helping other callers and you can’t get through straightaway, please do try again in a few minutes.
How can I start an online chat?
When you click on the online chat icon, a new window will open with a welcome message. It will take a moment to connect you with a Support Line adviser.
When the adviser is online, you’ll see a message saying: ‘How can I help you today?’ You can then start typing any questions or things you’d like to chat about.
How does the online chat service work?
You’ll be able to see when the Support Line adviser is typing because the phrase ‘The agent is typing’ will be displayed in the chat window. Their text will be displayed once they have finished typing.
When it appears, you can then type in your response. Once you’ve written your message, you’ll need to press enter for the Support Line adviser to be able to see what you’ve written.
When you have finished your chat session, you’ll get a message from the Support Line adviser to confirm that the session has ended. Please note that this service is currently only available in English.
How quickly will I get a response?
Sometimes it can take a little while for the Support Line advisers to type back their message to you, so please don’t worry if you don’t get an immediate response. You’ll also need to keep the window open while they are typing otherwise you may miss out on their response.
All online chat conversations with our Support Line advisers are completely confidential. Please refer to the terms and conditions below for more information.
Terms and conditions
By using our online chat you agree to our website terms and conditions of use of the Marie Curie website and to the following additional terms:
- Online chat will usually be available during normal Marie Curie Support Line opening hours. These are Monday to Friday 8am-6pm and Saturday 11am-5pm.
- Our online chat service provides information and support only and is an alternative to calling the Marie Curie Support Line.
- Transmission of data over the internet can never be guaranteed as secure. Please apply the same caution to using our online chat service as you would to using any online service.
- Please refrain from entering sensitive personal data such as medical information, bank details, credit card numbers, login details or any other information that could be used maliciously or fraudulently.
- Online chat transcripts may be stored by Marie Curie for an indefinite period of time unless you request, at any time of using the web chat, that we do not retain it.
- Marie Curie may use your online chat transcript to help improve services in future, such as for training purposes or for evaluation purposes.
- Except for third party IT service providers and where required by law, details of your online chat with Marie Curie will never be shared with any other organisation or service.
- Inappropriate use of our online chat service, including abuse of our advisers is not acceptable. Marie Curie reserves the right to block any individual from using the online chat service.
Print this page