Need support?

Living with a terminal illness and looking for support? Our Support Line team are here to help. 

 Reopens today at 8AM

by phone

 0800 090 2309 Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. Find out more about our Support Line.

Carer’s Credit and your State Pension

Carer’s Credit helps people who can’t pay National Insurance contributions because of their caring role. It means you can still get benefits that are based on National Insurance contributions, such as the State Pension. You don’t need to get Carer’s Allowance to qualify. 

On this page:

What is Carer’s Credit?

Some benefits, including your State Pension, are based on your National Insurance record. If you’re caring for someone with a terminal illness, this might affect your ability to work and therefore your National Insurance record. The government may give you Carer’s Credit to fill gaps in your National Insurance record, so you can still qualify for benefits such as your State Pension.

Who is eligible for Carer's Credit?

You can claim Carer’s Credit if you spend at least 20 hours a week caring for someone.

The person you’re caring for must get:

If they don’t get any of these benefits, you might still be able to get Carer’s Credit.

You don’t need to get Carer’s Allowance to qualify. And your income, savings or investments aren’t taken into account.

How do I apply for Carer's Credit?

If you get Carer’s Allowance or Child Benefit for a child under the age of 12, you don’t need to apply for Carer’s Credit. You will get it automatically.

But if you are caring for someone and you don’t get Carer’s Allowance, you need to claim Carer’s Credit.

You’ll need to ask a health or social care professional to sign a Care Certificate for your application.

What should I do if my circumstances change?

If you are receiving Carer’s Credit and there is a change in your circumstances you need to report it to the Carer’s Allowance Unit  , or Disability and Carers Service   in Northern Ireland. You should also tell them if you gave incorrect information by mistake. 

External websites

About this information

Marie Curie's Information and Support team has produced this information with help from:

  • Director of Corporate Services, Marie Curie
  • Disability Rights UK
  • Our Readers' Panel volunteers.

This information is not intended to replace any advice from health or social care professionals. We suggest that you consult with a qualified professional about your individual circumstances. Read more about how our information is created and how it's used.  

information standard member logo

Print this page