Need support?

Living with a terminal illness and looking for support? Our Support Line team are here to help. 

 Reopens tomorrow at 8AM

by phone

 0800 090 2309 Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. Find out more about our Support Line.

Help with transport costs

You may be able to get help with transport costs if you have a terminal illness.

Living with a terminal illness doesn’t mean you’ll automatically qualify for these things. However, you’ll usually qualify if you have a health condition that makes it difficult to walk or move around.

On this page: 

Am I eligible for a Blue Badge?

If you have mobility problems, such as problems walking, you may be able to get a Blue Badge so that you can park your car nearer to where you want to visit.

Who is it for?

You’ll automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if:

It’s also possible to qualify for a badge if you can show you have a permanent and substantial disability that causes great difficulty in walking, or if you can’t use your arms.

How do I apply for a Blue Badge?

If you live in England or Wales, apply online at GOV.UK   or contact your local council. You can use GOV.UK's local council finder  .

In Scotland, visit  .

In Northern Ireland, visit nidirect  .

If you tell them that you’re terminally ill when you call or fill in your application, the process might be easier.

Someone else can apply on your behalf. They’ll need some of your personal details, including your National Insurance number and address.

If you don’t automatically qualify for a Blue Badge (see above), the application may be a bit more complicated, so you may want to get help with filling it out from your local Citizens Advice   office.

Back to top

Bus and rail travel

A Disabled Person’s Railcard entitles you to a third off the cost of most UK train journeys if you have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult.

If you’re aged 60 or over, you can get a Senior Railcard  , which also gives you a third off the cost of most UK train journeys.

In England, you may be able to get a bus pass for free off-peak travel on buses if you’re disabled. You can also apply when you reach the female State Pension age, whether you’re a man or a woman. Apply for a disabled person’s bus pass through your local council at GOV.UK  

In London, you might be able to get free travel within London by applying for TFL’S Freedom pass  if you have a disability or a TFL’S 60+ London Oyster photocard   if you’re aged 60 or over.

In Wales, you may be able to get a bus pass for free travel at any time if you’re disabled or aged 60 or over. Find out more by contacting your local authority at  .

In Scotland, you can get a National Entitlement Card, which gives you free bus travel on most services at any time. You might be eligible if you have a terminal illness, disability, or are aged 60 or over. Apply by contacting your local authority – their details are listed at  .

In Northern Ireland, you may be able to get a half fare travel pass if you’re getting the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP). You can get a SmartPass for free bus and rail travel if you’re aged 60 or over. Find out more about the different passes and how to apply at nidirect.  

Back to top

Other travel discounts

There are concessions available on some ferry routes and the Eurotunnel, if you’re disabled and travelling with a car. For more information, contact Disabled Motoring UK  .

Disability Action also has a transport service throughout Northern Ireland. It’s free to join and you’re charged a fee for each trip. Find out more from Disability Action   or call 0845 608 5555 for more information.

Travel to hospital

In general, people are expected to make their own way to and from hospital.

If you need additional medical support during your journey or find it difficult to walk, you may be able to access patient transport services. It’s not available in every area. Speak to your GP or other healthcare professional to see if this is available for you.

If you are on a low income and are receiving benefits because of this, you may also be entitled to a refund for the costs of travelling to hospital or to see a health professional. Find out more about the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme at NHS Choices  . You have to provide proof of entitlement and the receipts for your travel.

Back to top

Hospital parking

Many hospitals charge for parking – it’s a good idea to check how much they charge and if there are other places nearby you can park. Hospitals may offer free or discounted parking for disabled people or visitors of people who a seriously ill. Contact your local hospital for more information.

Am I eligible for Vehicle Tax Exemption?

You can apply for exemption from Vehicle Tax if you get one of the following benefits:

If you receive the standard rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment, you get 50% off your vehicle tax.

When you’re awarded the qualifying benefit, you should automatically receive a re-useable exemption certificate. Contact the Disability Service Centre   if you don’t receive one. 

Back to top

What is Motability?

Motability  is a charity that helps people with disabilities to lease a car (including adapted vehicles), powered wheelchair or mobility scooter. To qualify you need to get one of the following benefits:

To use the Motability scheme, your qualifying benefit must usually have at least 12 months remaining.

Back to top

External websites

About this information

Marie Curie's Information and Support team has produced this information with help from:

  • Director of Corporate Services, Marie Curie
  • Disability Rights UK
  • Our Readers Panel volunteers.

This information is not intended to replace any advice from health or social care professionals. We suggest that you consult with a qualified professional about your individual circumstances. Read more about how our information is created and how it's used.

Information standard logo

Print this page