Coffee Cream Pie - a delicious festive treat just for you
Coffee Cream Pie
Makes: 10 slices You will need: a 26cm fluted dish
For the pie crust: 30 Oreo Cookies (approximately 2 ¼ 154g packets) 70g butter For the filling: 2 tablespoons instant coffee 2 tablespoons boiling water 2 tablespoons milk 500g mascarpone cheese 100g cream cheese 50g light brown sugar 100g sifted icing sugar For the topping: 250g double cream 1 tablespoon icing sugar ½ teaspoon Vanilla Grated dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Put the biscuits in a food processor and pulse until you have black sand. (I did try and do this in a sandwich bag, but due to the white middle of the Oreos, the biscuits get very sticky, so I think it's best to use a food processor.)
- Combine the butter with the crushed biscuits in a bowl and then empty them into the fluted dish. Make sure the biscuits cover the entire base of the dish and also go up the sides. Use the back of a spoon to help press the biscuits in.
- Pop the dish in the oven for eight minutes.
- Once the base comes out of the oven, allow it to cool, before putting it in the fridge for at least an hour.
- When the hour is up, you’re ready to make the filling. In a cup, mix the coffee granules with the boiling water and milk, until all of the granules have dissolved.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mascarpone, cream cheese, light brown sugar and icing sugar together. Gradually pour the coffee mixture in, until you have a thick light brown cream. The mixture will look almost curdled as you pour the liquid in, don't worry that's normal! As you mix, it will become more cream like. Stop mixing as soon as you have the thick light brown cream.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge and carefully spoon the filling into it. Make sure the filling evenly covers the entire base. Be aware there may be a few stray Oreo crumbs. Try not to mix them into the filling.
- Cover the pie with cling film and pop it in the fridge for at least three hours.
- After the three hours are up beat the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla in your electric mixer until you have soft peaks.
- Spoon the cream on top of the coffee filling, top with grated dark chocolate and serve!
This pie should be stored in the fridge for up to three days. Merry Christmas!